My Year 2 Learning Journey – Reading
|WTS / EXS
- I can sound out unfamiliar words accurately using phonic knowledge.
- I recognise and read alternative sounds for graphemes.
- I can self-correct when reading.
- I read accurately by blending sounds in words that contain the graphemes I have been taught.
- I read accurately words of two or more syllables.
- I am beginning to re-read books to build up fluency and accuracy.
- I can confidently read common exception words.
- I read most words quickly and accurately.
- I can read words containing common suffixes.
- I confidently re-read texts to build up fluency and accuracy.
- I show enjoyment of reading.
- I can re-tell some stories, including fairy tales and traditional stories.
- I can ask questions about a text.
- I know some simple literary language in stories and poems.
- I can make simple inferences from illustrations and events.
- I can make predictions based on what I have read so far.
- I can talk about key characters and events.
- I know the difference between stories and poetry.
- I listen to different types of poetry.
- I recognise some features of non-fiction.
- I can talk about what I enjoy about reading.
- I can listen to and discuss a wide range of modern and classic texts.
- I can predict what might happen next, based on what I have read so far.
- I can talk about the sequence of events in a book.
- I read for meaning, checking that the text makes sense and I correct myself when needed.
- I can talk about favourite words and phrases.
- I can answer questions about a text.
- I know key features of a non-fiction text.
- I can make simple inferences, giving reasons for my ideas.
- I can learn a poem by heart.
- I can talk about a range of texts and give my opinion, including non-fiction.
- I can discuss and work out the meaning of works, linking new meanings to words I already know.
- I can infer meaning, giving evidence from the text.
- I can perform a poem making the meaning clear.
- I know that non-fiction texts are structured in different ways.
- I can read fluently and confidently.
- I can read a wide range of text types on my own with consistent fluency, accuracy and confidence.
- I can make inferences using illustrations, events, character’s actions and speech.
- I can make links between the books I am reading and other books I have read.
- I am beginning to relate recurring literary language to certain text types or authors.
- I can make inferences and predictions based on what has been read, offered and explained.
- I can show that I understand more challenging age-appropriate texts.
- I understand the meaning of new words by exploring the word in the text and making links to other words I know.
- I seek out texts that I know that I will enjoy, using what I know about authors and text types.