Design Technology at All Saints
Through our teaching of Design Technology here at All Saints, we intend for all pupils to fulfil their potential and meet the national curriculum aims of:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
The children are taught a range of designing and making skills progressively throughout each key stage. All projects are planned using an investigative approach so that Design Technology activities are relevant and purposeful. Projects are agreed in all year groups to ensure robust curriculum coverage and developed through planned themes.
Design Technology is identified on an annual subject overview for each year group, which describes the balance of subjects taught throughout the year.
Skills matrices are used as a basis for planning so that pupils can gain age appropriate skills. By the end of KS2 children will be knowledgeable and skilled in:
- Products and applications
- Health and Safety
- Materials and components
Health and Safety
Children will be taught appropriate methods of handling and using tools, equipment and materials safely, considering the hazards and risks in their activities and following simple instructions to control risk to themselves.
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens.
Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, pupils develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
Progression in Designing and Making Skills